The Son of God, the Second Person of the Trinity, became a human being for two reasons: to teach and to sanctify. When we look at Our Lord’s public life, the three year period that ended with His Ascension into Heaven, we can clearly see that Jesus spent three years teaching and then three days saving us by His passion and death.
However true this is, it would be a great loss if we didn’t notice that Jesus did His greatest teaching on the Cross.
On the Cross Jesus taught us…
- To be obedient to God the Father, no matter what.
- To love your enemies, especially if they will be saved through your love.
- To accept the sufferings God allows your way and offer them up for the salvation of others.
- The Ten Commandments summed up in the two greatest commandments – Love God with all your heart, mind and soul and your neighbor as yourself.
- That at our weakest is when God can work the greatest works through us.
- To go to the Scriptures for help.
- To forgive.
- To pray.
- To take the Blessed Mother into our homes.
- That death does not win.
The next time you see the crucifix in church or in your home, remember all that Jesus taught us on the Cross.